The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Wise Words

I want to be wiser in my speech. Both for Christ's sake (because I am called) and for my children's. It is hard to tell your children they cannot say "butt" when you use it all the time. See...I go back and forth on this. I am so aware of pushing both believers and non-believers away by saying "we don't watch this" or "we don't say that". I hate to tell my kids that - because they do the whole " a - woo-woo - you just said the B word".

My favorite is when they talk about the "F" word. One day one of them came home and said his brother said the "F" word at school. I almost had a heart attack. "What word was that?" I calmly TRIED to ask. In a whisper he told me his brother said "fart". I was relieved. Honestly, a mild word compared to what I was thinking. But do I want them to say the word fart? Ehhhhhhh, not really. But they are boys and so I try to tell them to be aware of where they are using it. I take time in the car on our way somewhere to talk about when it is okay to be a "boy" and when they need to be above reproach with their words and their actions.

Is this wrong? Should I tell them to strive to be above reproach everyday in both word and deed? I cannot begin to tell you what a clamor that sets up on the not so goody-goody side of me. I have my reasons for not wanting to be a goody goody. I have had ample opportunity as a flawed person who lets my flaws be known to share the love of God, and his faithfulness - even to someone like me. And I have an inherent distrust of people that are just really, really nice. Now I know - this is my problem. There really are people that are so kind that they seem too good to be true. It takes me a while though. And those are actually the people I want to be like, when I grow up.

Hmmm. When I grow up? Well I supppose it is possible that I am hanging on to my worldly nature much too tightly.

Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

1 Peter 4:11
If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Peter 3:9-11
9Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.
10For, "Whoever would love life
and see good days
must keep his tongue from evil
and his lips from deceitful speech.
11He must turn from evil and do good;
he must seek peace and pursue it.

There are so many more warnings about our tongues. And quite honestly I struggle with mine. And the problem is my heart -

Matthew 15:18
But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.'

Well - that is truly convicting.

What it comes down to is am I truly living the Word of God? I use my excuses about not wanting to offend people by being too good, but quite honestly - do I think by holding tight to that worldly behavior that I am actually serving the Lord well?

Proverbs 31:26
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

I am failing when I do not consider my mouth and its effect on others. And I am wrong when I do not try to curb my language and teach my children the same thing....

Philippians 4:8,9
8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

My goal should be to glorify God in all I say and do and not worry about the rest. Hopefully in practising this it will give me wisdom and right thinking so that my words will be in line with God's idea. Also - it will change my clinging to the world's standards for my families' words. God will not give me less opportunities or make me less able to share with those who need to know the Gospel because of my "salty" language. In fact I do believe that is a lie of Satan and that I should avoid.

I am not judgemental person. If anyone struggles with their stance before the Lord, it is me. I am a people pleaser, I love this world too much and I secretly enjoy being worldly. It makes me sick to openly admit this...but in my thinking it is the first step in becoming closer to God. And that is my ultimate goal. If I set my heart on pleasing the Lord and my mind and heart are set on this, then I have no doubt my language will follow. This is what I will teach the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!