The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Monday, October 20, 2008

Too Busy

I know you have been there. I know it is easy to get there. I know that it is hard to get away from. What am I talking about? Being too busy.

Once again I find myself, tense, cranky and frantically trying to meet all of the obligations I have committed to. Why do I do this? Why is it that I cannot seem to find a good balance of what I should take on and what I should not? More often than not the relationships that are more important to me are the ones that suffer. My time with God usually finds a way to get sacrificed. I skimp on my children and my husband and I am unhappy and cranky with them because they become one more thing for me to do. This should never happen. God and my family are my first priority.

So how do I help out without becoming too deep in obligations outside of my home?

Ephesians 5:15-17

15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.

Do you know that in my search of the Word to back up my feelings on my busy-ness I never found caution in being too busy. But rather saw many times admonition to not be idle.

Titus 2:4,5

4 Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

1 Timothy 5:12-14
12 Thus they bring judgment on themselves, because they have broken their first pledge. 13 Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house. And not only do they become idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying things they ought not to. 14 So I counsel younger widows to marry, to have children, to manage their homes and to give the enemy no opportunity for slander.

So - I do believe that being busy is a good thing. The definition for being busy is: full of activity. I do think that I can take on too much and not be good at the things that should be my priority. But I must be wise and choose carefully what I am called to be busy in. I am a believer, I love God and will serve him making my time with him is a priority.

I am married to a wonderful man who I love and love to serve, he is important to me and I will not set aside my time for him. I have three beautiful boys that I can't imagine being without. I have such a short time with them during the day. I need to set it aside for them. I have precious friends that God has given me, some that I have known long, others that are newer. I can find time to spend with them occasionally - it has gotten harder in the last few years. But I can find ways. I have a Church that I worship with and enjoy fellowship with as well. I must find ways to serve the body. I am called to and have made a commitment to do so.

That is a lot. My only protection from over-committing is bringing each thing that comes my way before the Lord and asking him for wisdom to accept or not to accept. I try to make a list prioritizing things in the morning and pray that God will help me get done what I need to and not worry about the rest. I don't think it hurts to ask your husband to help you make the decision either. Andy will many times tell me that I should not take on something that I have been asked to. He leaves it up to me though, and when I have been foolish enough to do it anyway, I have always been sorry. Just goes to show - I need to listen to him!

My motives for taking on things should always be questioned as well. Saying yes, because I want to look like a servant or I am happy that somebody needs me, are not good reasons.

I have to take into account what is important to me. Find ways to get the things done I have to - so that the time I spend with my kids when they get home from school and Andy when he gets home from work is a good time.

In trying to find ways to wiggle out of my busy-ness though, I have found that it is indeed a blessing to work, to be full of activity - the catch is to make sure it is something that lines up with God's Word.

Look how lovely this scripture is:

Philippians 4:4-9
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.


How light my heart is after reading that.

I encourage all who read to find a way to keep yourselves away from idleness, to keep busy but to be wise in your choices. It is a neverending effort in my experience, but I believe it is well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!