The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Clean

My husband reminded me the other day of my trip to Albania back in 1992. I went with some of my college kids to do summer vacation Bible schools. The kids ran the streets and it seemed a good idea to keep them busy...and it was. It was a wonderful experience for me. I loved being there and I loved those kids. He saw a truth in something that happened to me over there that I think is very applicable to our lives.

Of course the accomodations there in Albania were not what I thought they would be. We are so blessed here in America but we have no clue. The bathroom was a square tiled area. it had a hole in the middle with two rectangular places for your feet on either side...this is how you went to the bathroom. Squat. Though not what I was used to - it was fine. The shower was positioned above that hole. So you took a bath where you pottied. The water was in a resevoir above the sink. The water came on twice a day. 2:00am and 2:00pm - stayed on for an hour. They had to fill buckets and tubs for what they would need the rest of the day during those times. When you took a shower it was cold...I had to quit shaving my legs because I always had chill bumps - and it hurt to shave. I would say we did what we could to stay clean, though they were certainly short and sweet showers we took. We thought we were getting clean. Let's just say we were doing the best we could.

After a few weeks it was time to come home. We had a layover in Zurich, Switzerland. We stayed in a hotel there and when I got to my room, I went immediately into the bathroom and got my shower. I was amazed. The amount of black dirt coming off of me was unbelievable. I was filthy. I soaped up and scrubbed and when I finally got out I felt truly clean. And I had non-hairy legs... which felt very strange at first!

I thought I was clean. But a hard shower in Zurich proved me to be wrong. There was dirt I could not see and I was not as clean as I could be.

In light of God's Word I am not as clean as I could be. There are things I do that I do not confess. Oh I think I am doing well...sometimes. But when faced with the word of God and the spiritual understanding and conviction that comes from it, I can see that I am not.

Jeremiah 17:9-10
9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? 10 "I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve."


2 Timothy 2:19
19Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

We know we are to confess our sins to stay right before the Lord. A contrite heart and repentant spirit is pleasing to the Lord. Confessing our sin is an integral part of a healthy heart. It keeps us close and dependent on God and this is where we want to be as his children. I pray that God will give me much sorrow when I sin.

2 Corinthians 7:10
10Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.

I desire to be faithful to stay in the Word and to be in prayer. It is the only way I will be aware of my spiritual climate. And I do feel in these times it is most important. I want to be ready for whatever comes.

Come along side me friends. Let's hold up the Light so that we and all who are around us can see our desperate need of Christ and the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!