The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Playing Checkers




This morning I woke up, had my coffee and was about to sit down to read while my boys were having breakfast. One of the twins came and said, "Remember that Checker game we were suppose to play before Dad took us fishing yesterday?" Of course I remembered... "Let's go", I said. So we went up to the office and began our game of Checkers. Now - I am competitive. My husband [has] give[n] me a hard time about it[in the past- TEASING of course (how's that hon?)] - because I sometimes beat the kids at whatever game - not always...but especially video games - they really are better at those than me - so if I see a chance I take it! But I honestly don't see that letting them win EVERY time is that beneficial to them. There comes a point where you have to teach them to think.

As I played with my little cutie petootie this morning...I realized that teaching also involves encouragement. If I beat the snot out of him each time (and honestly - as much fun as winning is - it rings a little hollow when beating a 7 year old - UNLESS it is in video games...I am quite pleased then - they are REALLY good), it would crush that sweet little spirit. And I do not want that. My goal is to make him think - point him in the right direction and make enough mistakes to teach him where I screwed up and let him win in the process. There are times when he is unfocused and I really can't let him win. Sometimes losing is a good thing.

Of course there is always a line that draws whatever it is we put our hand to back to God. Our Heavenly Father also watches as we try to master this life. As we learn strategies that make us stronger, more disciplined, more like our Father, we sometimes realize that He is in fact giving us little victories that spur us on to more good deeds and to use the gifts He has bestowed upon us. He even allows challenges that we think we cannot overcome. Sometimes the challenges are easier than we thought they would be, sometimes they are much harder and we fail several times before we finally win the battle.

Life is a struggle - but in my mind there is always a means to an end. I cannot think of one thing that I love that does not take some effort to obtain. Many tries, and failures and the learning that comes with it make the accomplishment worthwhile. The harder I have to work, the sweeter the results of obtaining the goal. This life is hard. Sometimes it is harder for some than others...what a waste it would be if we did not have the ultimate goal in mind...being more like our heavenly Father and obtaining the prize that He holds for us there in our ultimate home in Heaven. To me...if I consider this struggle as a constant sanctification(the state of growing in divine grace as a result of Christian commitment after conversion), then it is well worth the effort.

I have not always felt this way. For a long time I felt ignorance was bliss. The less I knew the smoother and easier my life was. But it was a vanilla life. Pretty plain and I would get bored. God has called me to a much more noble and exciting place. Much like a rock climber, or even a chess player - the strategies used to accomplish the task at hand - become as exciting to me as any game I have played. God gave me the gifts to use to make it...I have all I need to succeed. I just have to learn to use them in the ways He is teaching me...much like I do to teach my sweet boys. And I will know success and the praise of my Lord. If not now then one day.

How worthwhile is that? How wonderful is a life that is focused on a goal...on an end result - especially when the end result is being like my Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

  1. Missy!
    You are amazing!
    I love you!
    Thanks for sharing your blog!!
    Love,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!