The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I Love Jane Eyre


I am reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - again...probably for at least the 5th time...maybe more. It is one of those books I seem to get new insight and enjoy reading EVERY time I pick it up. It has been probably 10 years since the last time I picked it up though. And I am amazed by all the new things I see and the new perspective I have on this well loved book.

I love Jane. I love her plainess and her spirit. I love her discipline and her passion. I think she is an amazing heroine. But I find that though I identify well with Jane in many areas - I am drawn to Helen Burns and am heartsore at her passing from Jane's life so soon after their found comfort and friendship in one another.

I hear myself in Jane as she is pouring her heart out to Helen after an injustice was done to her publicly. And I love Helen's response to vehement Jane.

"Well, Helen?" said I, putting my hand into hers: she chafed myfingers gently to warm them, and went on -"If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends."

"No; I know I should think well of myself; but that is not enough: if others don't love me I would rather die than live--I cannot bear to be solitary and hated, Helen. Look here; to gain some real affection from you, or Miss Temple, or any other whom I truly love, I would willingly submit to have the bone of my arm broken, or to let a bull toss me, or to stand behind a kicking horse, and let it dash its hoof at my chest--"

"Hush, Jane! you think too much of the love of human beings; you are too impulsive, too vehement; the Sovereign hand that created your frame, and put life into it, has provided you with other resources than your feeble self, or than creatures feeble as you. Besides this earth, and besides the race of men, there is an invisible world and a kingdom of spirits: that world is round us, for it is everywhere; and those spirits watch us, for they are commissioned to guard us; and if we were dying in pain and shame, if scorn smote us on all sides, and hatred crushed us, angels see our tortures, recognise our innocence (if innocent we be: as I know you are of this charge which Mr. Brocklehurst has weakly and pompously repeatedat second-hand from Mrs. Reed; for I read a sincere nature in your ardent eyes and on your clear front), and God waits only the separation of spirit from flesh to crown us with a full reward.Why, then, should we ever sink overwhelmed with distress, when life is so soon over, and death is so certain an entrance to happiness--to glory?"

Wow...exactly Helen Burns. This is being Heavenly minded. And I see myself in Jane's passionate response and in her desire to have true friendship and love being willing to do anything. Jane learned wonderful, eternal things from her sweet friend Helen.

I pray that I too will transfer my love of self (for the desire for others to love me and approve of me is simply an expression of self love) to love of God and realizing that everything I do and say should be an effort toward building His Kingdom and glorifying him.

I am almost finished with this wonderful book. I am sure I will have more to say on it. I wish I could read more! I do love reading these kind of books so much!

I pray that God gives us all minds that are focused on Heaven and how our efforts here on Earth can build the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!