The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Monday, February 11, 2008

Something To Think About


I worry. I worry a lot about my kids. I am too protective and wonder if I am not being careful enough and I struggle to know where the line of being cautious and rightly concerned and being overly cautious and overly concerned. It's a conundrum.

Remember as kids when we ran ALL over the neighborhood? We rode our bicycles up and down the road and I even remember (this will give you some insight into my brilliance) laying on my back on a skateboard and rolling down the hill on my street like it was a luge. If a car had come I would have been mush. I am sure my Mom did not know I was doing that. But it was so much fun! How much of that should I be worried about with my kids? A better question is - am I worried about it so much because I know what I was like? That is more likely.

I see highschool kids walking home from the bus and I wonder, "How can their parents let them walk home in this day and age? And is that something I should do with mine? Am I over- reacting? Am I not trusting God's grace for my kids by being too overprotective?"

It is truly exhausting at times. But in thinking about all of this I had a flash back of holding three kids hands as I walked across the parking lot...the twins in one hand and the other child in my other. This was not that long ago. I don't do that anymore- they are almost 8 now. When did I stop? When was it that I trusted my little ones to walk next to me and not be nervous anymore?

I remember the twins refusing to hold my hand anymore, I guess it was last year and I do remember holding G's hand and letting them walk beside me and being nervous about it initially. But then I saw that nothing bad happened and they seemed to be fine. So apparently I laid my fears to rest and now it no longer bothers me. It was little steps that got me to that point.

The same thing about other things. We have a septic tank. When we moved here I had never had one before and worried about it. A lot. I was careful about everything that went down the sink. I didn't want to put too much Clorox or grease and I did not want to use the garbage disposal because I was afraid it would throw the balance off. But after 5 years of living here..and after some Clorox being accidentally dumped and using the garbage disposal in fits of desperation...I found that the septic tank is fine. It no longer really makes me nervous. I am still careful to an extent but not nearly so particular as I was at first.

Sin is like this. We may start off being very careful and aware of our actions, careful not to become involved in whatever sin is tempting us. But in a time of weakness we slip and fall into it. Nothing really bad happens and it was good, it was fun, it made us feel alive, it resounded with our sinful nature and we found ourselves wanting to do it again. So we do it again, and before long we find ourselves ensnared and it no longer worries us, until the consequences of our sin catches up with us. Then we are oh so sorry we ever allowed ourselves to get caught up in it.

Now let me just say the outcome of any particular action will determine how comfortable we are with the next step. This applies to everything I can think of. So it behooves us to walk carefully. How do we do this? Especially this day and age? There are snags and snares everywhere we look. Even billboards and commercials. On the radio, on the television - there are a wealth of temptations and evils that will cause us to become callous to what is questionable and allow things into our homes that we never would have. What a clever and vicious plan Satan has to undermine those who love the Lord. Many times we do not even realize it. It is up to us to be cautious. Not necessarily to worry like is my temptation to do but to walk carefully and to be aware of where we are allowing our senses to wander.

Here is what Proverbs 4 has to say about it:

Proverbs 4
Wisdom Is Supreme
1 Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction;
pay attention and gain understanding.
2 I give you sound learning,
so do not forsake my teaching.
3 When I was a boy in my father's house,
still tender, and an only child of my mother,
4 he taught me and said,
"Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
keep my commands and you will live.
5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget my words or swerve from them.
6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.
7 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
8 Esteem her, and she will exalt you;
embrace her, and she will honor you.
9 She will set a garland of grace on your head
and present you with a crown of splendor."
10 Listen, my son, accept what I say,
and the years of your life will be many.
11 I guide you in the way of wisdom
and lead you along straight paths.
12 When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
when you run, you will not stumble.
13 Hold on to instruction, do not let it go;
guard it well, for it is your life.
14 Do not set foot on the path of the wicked
or walk in the way of evil men.
15 Avoid it, do not travel on it;
turn from it and go on your way.
16 For they cannot sleep till they do evil;
they are robbed of slumber till they make someone fall.
17 They eat the bread of wickedness
and drink the wine of violence.
18 The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn,
shining ever brighter till the full light of day.
19 But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness;
they do not know what makes them stumble.
20 My son, pay attention to what I say;
listen closely to my words.
21 Do not let them out of your sight,
keep them within your heart;
22 for they are life to those who find them
and health to a man's whole body.
23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.
24 Put away perversity from your mouth;
keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
25 Let your eyes look straight ahead,
fix your gaze directly before you.
26 Make level paths for your feet
and take only ways that are firm.
27 Do not swerve to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.

It is hard work. But keeping wisdom before us in the form of God's Word and walking rightly divided in the truths God provides therein is a necessity in this day and age. We then can walk confidently in the midst of this world knowing we have guidance from the one who knows all and will guide our steps according to His will. The key - the important thing to glean from this - for myself especially is - being in the Word. Living it out and seeing that my children see me doing this and then I can trust that God will guide me accordingly and pray that they will do the same thing. Being aware of the pitfalls and clinging to the wisdom God's Word has imparted to us is a key in walking rightly. I really don't see how we can do without it. God's grace is sufficient. He has truly given us everything we need to live this life until He takes us home. What a glorious and comforting thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!