The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Yes, I recognize this inner conversation....



"I presently fell into a deep argument with myself on life and its chances, on destiny and her decrees. My mind, calmer and stronger now than last night, made for itself some imperious rules, prohibiting under deadly penalties all weak retrospect of happiness past; commanding a patient journeying through the wilderness of the present, enjoining a reliance on faith - a watching of the cloud and pillar which subdues while they guide, and awe while they illumine - hushing the impulse to fond idolatry, checking the longing outlook for a far-off promised land whose rivers are, perhaps, never to be reached save in dying dreams, whose sweet pastures are to be
viewed but from the desolate and supulchral summit of a Nebo. "

Lucy Snowe - Villette (Charlotte Bronte)



I love the spartan and stoic attitude often displayed by Charlotte Bronte's heroines. It seems to make me feel better that they, at least, understand that one must use self control and reign oneself in when it comes to flights of fancy. It makes me want to try harder to do the same. For I also have one thing about me that seems strong and durable enough - and that is selfishness (to steal a phrase regarding Genevra Shaw). So flights of fancy are common for me.

Lucy Snowe seems to accept that her "Promised Land", like Moses', is far from her - and she views it from her own Mount Nebo. It is a mournful place for her. But she does not stay there.

"By degrees - a composite feeling of blended strength and pain wound itself wirily around my heart, sustained, or at least, restrained it's throbbings, and made me fit for the days work.

I lifted my head."

Well, that's what I intend to do today as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!