The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's Happening Again



There are times in my life that God seems to want to get my attention. I can trust that whatever it is he is wanting me to know - I am going to hear it...eventually. I might lightly brush over it in hearing it once. But when I notice it day after day in a book given to me by my husband, reading a blog of a friend, then in a radio broadcast I just happened to listen to while on my lunch break, and again in my daily devotional...well...I know he is trying to impress on me the importance of his message.


The fact is, for years I have been trying to get it right. But I do so love being in charge and ordering my way. I want to do it by myself. Independence strikes its ugly head. But its really gotten me nowhere. It is like spinning my wheels in the ice at the bottom of my driveway. A whole lot of energy expended and no progress to speak of.


I wake up in the morning to a myriad of people and tasks to take care of. The kids, the house, school work, my work, finding more work, people I want to go help...and it is overwhelming. My thoughts scatter, I lose my focus and end up doing nothing. I am depressed and feel hopeless at times. I want to take care of it all. And there are moments when I think I can. But those moments are fleeting in the face of my mountain of tasks. I am not able. I am reduced to nothing - and accomplish nothing.


But I have been reminded time and time again...through friends (thank you Tiffany), through broadcasts (thank you Nancy Lee Demoss), through books (thank you dear husband), and through my morning reading (thank you David Jeremiah) that my main purpose in my life, this month, this week, this day and this moment is knowing God. My being intentional about seeking the face of God in all I do will actually cause me to be more productive. And on those days when not much is accomplished...for whatever reason, there is no guilt, because I have sought his blessing on my day.

This is what I am longing for...to take care of all the things I need to. To do my daily tasks well, whether I love that task or not, and without guilt of all the things I did not do. I do think that I can cast my cares of the Lord (as I have so often posted here), I do believe that I can know him, ask his blessing on my day and lay my head on my pillow at night knowing that I have accomplished what this day was meant for me to accomplish - as long as I am putting God first. I can know, because I have sought his face, read his word and conversed with him, that he will use me to love those in my life well, to do the things I need to do and to trust that my needs are met. There is no guilt there. There is no remorse over a day wasted. This is good.

Colossians 1:

16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! My favorite line is "And on those days when not much is accomplished...for whatever reason, there is no guilt, because I have sought his blessing on my day." I am really going to meditate on that.

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!