The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Eat a Cookie! Save a Life!




So....my boys wanted to do something to make money to send to Haiti. Quite the happy thing. Thrilled me to think that they are thinking beyond themselves. So, we decided to have a neighborhood Bake Sale. I told some of my sweet neighbors and they agreed. One of them lives on the main street at a 4 way stop...the perfect place to have the bake sale. We all pooled our goods and set up our table and had the kids waving their posters and brandishing the cans with DONATIONS in large letters. They had a great time. I was so proud of them.

So many people came from where I had posted on Facebook and the neighborhood website. And just the random folks who were passing through.

I have to say, I never expected to make as much as we did. My main goal was to aid the boys in getting money for Haiti and to think beyond themselves. My thinking was, however little was made, it was good to get them involved in a project to teach them to be mission minded.

But God had other things in mind. He blessed it and caused it to be a great success...both in getting the kids to work toward something that was for others and monetarily...in that short hour we made $150. Wow. WOW!

We have round 2 today. I have had 2 people I had not spoken to who heard about it through the grapevine call me and tell me that they wanted to help with the baking. So we have so many things we will be able to offer today. I am going to take a picture of the cupcakes one friend has made...they are beautiful...have angels wings on them. How happy is that?

Pray that God again blesses the efforts and encourages these kids who have been so excited about giving of their time to earn money to help the people of Haiti. God is so good to give us this opportunity. I praise him because he helped me to follow through with an idea to help the kids. It is exactly what I needed to be encouraged in Kingdom work.

One of my favorite moments yesterday was when one of the girls ran up to me and said..."I am making a poster that says, Eat a cookie, save a life! - Can we please do this again?"

Of course!

God is so very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!