The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Doubtful movie....surprisingly good

Funny thing. Yesterday we took the boys to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Now I must tell you that I have never been thrilled that my boys love these books. I don't believe that the fact that teachers love the books because they make children want to read is a good reason. But my boys love these books. Something about them appeals to these little boys...and some girls to be honest. But - they would read excerpts to me and I would laugh...out loud. Of course I would always tag it with - just because I laughed doesn't mean that is the way to behave. Thinking to myself, "Dang! I should not have laughed at that - so NOT adult of me."

Yes the books can be gross.

Yes they are not always very nice.

But neither are my boys.

Or myself for that matter.

So when my husband suggested going to see it - to be honest - I was not at all that thrilled. But we went - it was at the dollar theater. I didn't really have a good argument.

I watched it. I was grossed out a few times. Just like I am with my boys...and myself for that matter.

When the movie ended...I wanted to stand up and clap. Okay - just remember - my responses are sometimes a little over the top - it's a personality thing. But I loved the movie.

I watch Greg and I am totally upset with him, because he reminds me of myself. Oh goodness. I could almost cry from the feelings this kid dredges up in me. But he totally learns the lesson. By the end of the movie Greg makes the right decision and it makes me so happy! He can actually learn to be wise. To make a decision not based on what he thinks will get him ahead - but he bases his decision on what is right.

Now, the fact is, what is right can be disguised - especially this day and age. But he acts out of a feeling that is totally selfless. I love it. I love it. I love it. And I cannot say enough good things about the redeeming theme of this movie.

There was an underlying simplicity to Rowley, Greg's best friend...and it was a beautiful thing. Rowley was a total dork. But he was who he was and really totally oblivious to what others thought. He was kind-hearted, he was loyal, and he did the right thing. He enjoyed his life without worrying what others thought. Such a wise little character. I love Rowley.


So, I have decided to start trying to be more like Rowley.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!