The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

And to think I was feeling sorry for myself.


We have had to make some hard decisions over the last several weeks. The economy and the job market have put us in a place where things are tight. What we took for granted mere months ago is no longer there. Going to the Dr. for $30 - I USE to complain about. Now it will cost us much more than that. The boys were jumping on the bed the other day and broke it. BROKE it. I was so upset. And I cried. Over a BED. I ended up telling them they knew better than to jump on the bed but it is just a bed. No more jumping - move on. You would think after having a head through the window pane and many knots on the noggins for jumping that it was something they would not do again - but never underestimate the free spirit of a 9 year old boy. But back to - it IS just a bed.

I was reading Tim Staffords Blog this morning. He is a writer/reporter and just returned from Haiti. After reading about each person there mourning at times at least 100 people, I was ashamed. These people have no jobs to make money. They are scared to sleep in a building if there is one standing, because it may fall on them. They sleep outside on blankets and sheets. There is no infrastructure to organize and see things are taken care of in some kind of orderly fashion. They do not sleep well and they wake up scared. I have no idea what hard is.

Suddenly this house that has a leak in the roof and 2 broken windows (both the boys doing), a broken dishwasher, a leaky fridge, and 2 cars that are 10 years old are treasures. TREASURES! How blessed are we? Was I really feeling sorry for myself yesterday?

The list of blessings is long. The bed, though broken, has a nice mattress with warm blankets under a secure roof. My children sleep soundly in peace every night. No nightmares of falling rubble and hungry tummies plague them. We are not mourning the loss of a single family member at this time. Thank you Lord.

I can say that reading the Blog this morning has caused me to be grateful! How it has caused my heart to hurt for the many who truly know fear and loss. What can I do? How can I help?

The fact is that God has given us what we need to make it through this day. He has called those who are his and equipped them with the tools to serve others....

Galatians 5
13You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. 14The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Here I am Lord - use me as you will. Cause my eyes to rest where the need is and give me resources to serve those in need well. Forgive me for feeling sorry for myself and thinking that my world was rocked because of a little job change. Cause me to focus on the blessings of our lot and do not let my heart envy those with more. Give me boundless energy to serve you and those you place in my path. So be it Lord...with your blessing.

If you are interested in reading the blog here is the link:
http://timstafford.wordpress.com/

Hebrews 10:
39 But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.


Forward - no shrinking back, no feeling sorry for myself. Oh Lord, help me to remember this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!