The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Monday, August 25, 2008

Soup Night


We are starting Soup Night for our neighborhood again this year. It was our way of finding unchurched or those who aren't believers and sharing with them the hospitality and warmth of Jesus. It did not do so well the first two years I attempted. So I took a couple of years off. I am convicted once again.


Upon reflection I do not feel that I prayed enough. I did not request prayer for it nor did I expect God to bring those people. The first two I had brought our friends and it was fun - but it was not the outreach I had so desired. I had that "If you host it, they will come" mentality. Which apparently is not true.


I said something about it at Bible Study one day and my friend said, "Why aren't we praying for this?". Hmmm...good question. Though my heart was right and I do think I wanted to glorify the Lord...I was doing it in my own strength. And really - things just don't work well that way.


So - this time...I am calling on all who know me and hear about it - to pray. Pray that relationships will be formed and hospitality shown and the warmth and acceptance of Jesus would be felt. I pray that we will seek to serve the lost and talk about significant things without casting judgement on opinions. That we will unerringly serve the Gospel as well as soup.


Romans 12:12-14
12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.


1 Peter 4:8-10
8Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.


I do not feel that hospitality is one of my gifts. I can do it...but I have to work HARD at it. And my first inclination is to just enjoy my family, here just us. It's easy and I like it. It is not that I don't want other people to come over and be with us. It is that it is hard. It is hard for both my husband and myself. We are very content with ourselves.


This is not what God called us to though. We will have to step out of our comfort zone and be willing to open our house - even though it is hard.


So, when you think of us - pray that God will bring those who need to hear His Word to us. And that we will faithfully administer his grace. Pray that we keep our focus on Jesus and that we do not worry about the house, the kids, the dogs, the holes in our screen door, or the spots on our carpet...but that we will keep our eyes on our goal...which is to share the Gospel and to love those that God has brought to us well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!