The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

It's NOT the coffee....

I have been experimenting with eating whole foods. Well...as much as I can. I am trying to cut down on the refined foods we eat. There are some things that just aren't worth it at this point...but others are much easier. Such as sugar.

The reason for my new foray into the unrefined is this horrible indigestion. Whether it's age or maybe just stress - there seems to be certain foods that just set it off moments after I ingest them.

Coffee is one of them. Or I thought it was coffee.

It's not.

It's the dairy I put in my coffee. I love milk, cheese, dairy - anything.

But it looks like I may be having to sidestep it now and opt for other things.

I love my coffee in the mornings. I love my tea too - and would be fine just drinking it...but I still love coffee.

So - my new found happy to sidestep the sugar is organic, raw blue agave. It is pretty good. It does not give the bad aftertaste like stevia does.

It gives me hope that I can find happiness after giving up the unrefined. Speaking from a "I'll eat anything" standpoint - it used to seem that it would be impossible to find a new norm.

I feel better now.

Do you have food substitutes you have found to replace what you thought you never could?



Let me know about it....I need help!

4 comments:

  1. I've stopped eating most refined/processed carbs like breads, pastas, etc. and through that I've learned that I absolutely LOVE steamed cauliflower (you can mash it like potatoes). I've also learned how to make muffins and bread-like rolls with egg whites and have been pleasantly surprised how good they are! :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to post these on your FaceBook page or here even Nadia! Huge help to me. I have used the mashed cauliflower and think it is pretty good as well. It is good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food about a year ago and have made some intentional, gradual changes to our diet, some unrelated to the book. We don't keep "soda" (yes, that's what we call it now!) in the house, and we drink much less milk. Mostly water now. Much less breads, pastas, etc too. We grill and roast meats and veggies lots and eat lots of salads, eating as fresh as possible. I make as much as I can from scratch so I know what's in it--taco seasonings, enchilada sauce, granola, biscuits and muffins, whatever. I google it, and there's usually a recipe, most often with ingredients I already have. My best substitute is Greek yogurt for mayo and sour cream.

    And sometimes we have hotdogs or mac and cheese with boxed brownies for dessert! More often than I prefer, but we're trying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you doing without "soda"? Dern girl - you have left your roots! No cokes? I am trying. But baby - I love that burn. I won't drink diet coke anymore though. I think that's worse for you. But I did love my diet dp on my break! :) we need to do more grilling. I wonder if home made mayo would be better? I don't think it is hard to make. You could make it in small batches as needed. I cannot do greek yogurt as mayo. But mustard is fine. What do you think about the refined flour? I bet hot dogs mac n cheese and box brownies won't hurt every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!