The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Blessing of Scent - goes on and on....good or bad

So yesterday I talked about how very susceptible I am to smells. That includes bad smells. Once again, it is very unfortunate that I live in a housefull of boys and dogs. There are times I think they are having contests to see who smells the worst...

but that subject aside....

Things that smell bad can totally ruin my moment. Food - for example. There are some things I cannot eat - for the smell alone. But smell is linked to taste. So it is really not that surprising.

The same goes for my essence in the world. I can totally leave a bad scent - and put a bad taste in other folks mouths. I am constantly embarrassed by my behavior. Especially when it comes to my competitiveness. Matters not if it is for myself, my husband or my children. In my head - I compete. I want them and me - to be the best. I struggle with it more than anything. I am at constant war with my nature. Which is as it should be. It would be worse if I allowed it to go unchecked.

2 Corinthians 2:
14 But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. 15 For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, 16 to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things? 17 For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God's word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ.

It is so important that we consider others before ourselves. That does not mean we change who we or or compromise our beliefs. It means - especially for me - that I consider other's feelings and how I can best help them in their journey in this life. I should guard my knee jerk reactions and when they go unchecked ask forgiveness if injury was given.

I love the idea that we leave places better for our being there. I pray that I strive to do this every day. But also to be real. Transparent. I do not want to be less than God meant for me to be, but to grow into who God made me. This is the hard part.






sanc·ti·fy

[sangk-tuh-fahy] Show IPA
verb (used with object), sanc·ti·fied, sanc·ti·fy·ing.
1.
to make holy; set apart as sacred; consecrate.
2.
to purify or free from sin: Sanctify your hearts.
3.
to impart religious sanction to; render legitimate or binding: to sanctify a vow.
4.
to entitle to reverence or respect.
5.
to make productive of or conducive to spiritual blessing.
 
This word is an odd one in that it has been done and is being done for those who believe that Christ died for them and gave his life so that they might live eternally. It is complete and yet it is an ongoing process as well.

I suppose I should be thankful that this process - though painful at times, will ultimately be what leaves others with a proper view of Jesus - the aroma of Christ.

I know that I cannot control other's perception all the time. I know that I cannot put Jesus in a pretty box and try to make him more enticing. I cannot produce an aroma of Christ that is pleasing to all....but I can continue to do my best to love those around me. To serve others the best I can and to strive to be full of the Gospel so that it will not be me they are seeing - but see God for what he is. A giver and restorer of true life. If they will.

If the best I can do for those who know me is be helpful and encouraging, if they cannot possibly believe I am a servant of God or even that there is a God - then the very least I can be is loving....so that I am pleasant...not offensive. Wouldn't it be awesome instead of thinking Christians are haters of sin that the majority of people's first impression of us was that they loved being around us because we were so pleasant? So encouraging? So loving? wow. novel.

I cannot give up my time of prayer - or in the Word. It is what sustains and gives me the ability to do these things. Otherwise - it is hopeless and all I do is in vain.

So I suppose - sense - I mean since smell is so important to me - I should continue to do my best to produce a lovely scent.

And yes - I do take a bath - almost every day.

 
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!