The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

They will know us by our love...

I have long been convicted of our behavior. I am talking about the behavior of Christians. I suppose I should say of my behavior but this is something I have observed of us as a whole.

Followers of Christ, folks who identify themselves with Christ, those who believe in a Savior that came to earth, SACRIFICED himself, became as a servant to save ANYONE who would believe. He did it all because of love.

I know that is me. I am anyone. But something bothers me. And I think it is a maturity thing as much as anything. I remember telling someone they were going to bust hell wide open. I was 19 years old. I will tell you - that the person I said that to - knew I loved them. But I would rethink my language now. Pretty sure anyway. Because I have matured. And I have learned that making others agree with me is no longer my goal. It really should never be part of the Christian philosophy. Loving well should be what we are known for. Not this "holler til they hear us" mentality that seems to pervade the news media every time we are transgressed against.

Christians, from the worlds standpoint, tend to be mean. We tend to think we need to fight. We think we have to prove we are right. We do not love very well. Or sacrifice very well. There is no turning of the cheek - as a whole.

And it has hurt our reputation. Instead of being people that folks are drawn to...not for our beauty, or our charm, but because we display an unspeakable love that comes from Christ, we tend to repel, and to make others hate us. We belittle, and are snide. We tell others that God reviles them because of their sin. And unfortunately we - many times - are connected with conservative radicals that bomb clinics and spew hateful words. The fact is - sin is sin - my sin is no better than the doctor who performs abortions. So if I can say it's okay to bomb the abortion clinic for their sin, I am in essence saying I deserve the same thing. That is - if I believe God's Word and am truly a follower of Christ.

That is not Christ's example. His example was to eat with publicans and sinners. He turned the other cheek. He asked other people's opinion. He spoke with people that it was not looked well upon to speak with. He loved others so well.

Am I generalizing? Absolutely. I am just seeing Christians as a group - and  as a whole from a non-believer's viewpoint. I have the good fortune of being part of an online community that are a group of sweet folks. But they do not think well of Christians as a whole.
This makes me sad.

I am sure our example lies here:

Philippians 2 English Standard Version (ESV)

Christ's Example of Humility

2 So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, 2 complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Lights in the World

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
14 Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17 Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me. 

 

I am sure our example should be one that is in standing with this scripture. I think we should love others, and "shine as lights in the world". Love well, sacrificially, putting others before ourselves. Let the Spirit do his work on the hearts. There is no need for us to prove we are right. That is pride.

After all....

John 13:35

35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

*****An aside - I know not all Christians are loud, obnoxious and argumentative. I do believe we take a stand and are firm about it. I am talking about our language that sounds uncompassionate and our need to debate ad nauseum. My new favorite thing is to ask questions. If I can leave someone with a thought and a pleasant memory of me and any gracious thing I shared, then maybe the Holy Spirit can find root in a heart. Which is my desire in all I say and do. (smile)

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!