The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

St. Paddy's Day

St. Patrick's Day is usually a non-event in our house. We might wear green to avoid being pinched - but other than that - nothing. This year I was inspired by friends to try some new things. I thought it would be fun to make an event of it. So - I made Colcannon - I will post the recipe for you. It is mashed potatoes with lots of butter and cabbage and ham (corned beef would have been even better) - It was delicious. We had brown bread with it (I bought it - thought about making it like another friend - but just didn't have the gumption) and I did some research on St. Patrick and read it to the boys. It was really quite interesting. And it made the day a lot of fun. It helped that it was during Spring Break and the boys were home. And what made it especially fun was that Grandmother and Papa were with us (my mom and dad)...adding to the festivities.

Here's the link about St. Patrick http://www.history.com/topics/who-was-saint-patrick

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tylers-ultimate/colcannon-recipe/index.html

I think I am going to try harder to make special days of non-event days. It was really fun and not really that much work at all. It added something to a day that would have otherwise been just another day for us.

I guess the saying is true - you get out of something what you put into it...in this case even the slightest effort made for a fun day!

3 comments:

  1. We found this book about about St. Patrick which we read to the kids. They try to keep it to the facts, take out the myths/legends, and has a christian perspective.
    http://www.amazon.com/Story-St-Patrick-Shamrocks-Leprechauns/dp/0882640143/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300560983&sr=1-5

    I like their book on St. Valentine better. Maybe he just has a better story. There must be a little romantic in me somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, Kathy here. I'm NOT Bite the Wax Tadpole! How embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious Kathy! :) I will look at the link. I just love learning about these folks. All you tend to hear is the fantastic stuff. I love learning about the real folks and how they managed to become sainted! :)

    Who is Bite the Wax Tadpole?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!