The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Real Thing

I know...that is a coke slogan...but it applies to something I noticed the other day.

Of course most people think that plants are a beautiful addition to the home. Makes it all warm and cozy and it shows what a good housewife you are! Well...before you have kids anyway.

When I had the twins, one by one my beautiful plants died and were replaced with silk versions. Nine years later, I do not have one real plant in my house. Every single one of them is silk. Not that there is anything wrong with silk plants...but real ones really are prettier.

How did that happen?

I got busy. I got involved with other little beings and it made it difficult to take care of the plants and all the other things in the house....so I compromised.

I see this in my spiritual life as well. So many times the things I become involved with are like those silk plants...they look pretty good, but it is an imitation. I am a good person (in a moral sense), God has given me a love of people and the personality that wants to please. But it is not always from a heart that is motivated by love.

John 14:6
6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

I long for the real thing - I want Jesus. Not the imitation life that looks pretty. Truly - I am willing to deal with ugly to have what is real. I think that Jesus knows that. 'Cause my life sure ain't pretty right now. But I am promised that one day it will be.....perfect.


Am I changing out all of my silk plants in my home? Not right now...but I will be paying more attention to what is real in my life...and be intentional about sowing truth, which is Jesus and his Word.

Please - just one favor...if I start sticking silk flowers around my mail box....YOU MUST STOP ME!

1 comment:

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!