The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

History can prove faulty...




I love Van Gogh. He is my favorite painter. Something about his work and life seems to ring a sympathetic chord with me. A friend posted this article that states that Van Gogh may not have actually cut off his own ear in a crazy frenzy over his prostitute love Rachel. Apparently Gauguin and Van Gogh liked to mix it up sometimes...crazy artists that they were. Gauguin was actually quite the fencer...according to this article he managed to whip out his foil and slice the ear off of his lead and turpentine laden friend. I have also read that artists often went mad in those days because they chewed on nice chunks of dried lead paint and put the turpentine soaked brushes in their mouths...odd - but okay- I'll bite. Probably the reason Van Gogh lost his ear - whether by his own hand or Gauguin's. Either way...interesting stuff.

According to this article, Van Gogh and Gauguin wanted to keep it on the down low that the ear was removed by the artist's close friend. So, they came up with the crazy idea that he did it to himself. Wow. That is a better story?

Regardless, history proves here that it is possible it is a little faulty. Makes me wonder often times what is really true and what is not. Perception is often wrong. But questionably enough - is that a problem? I mean, I have heard it said that ignorance is bliss. I have to say - I lean toward not wanting to know the truth sometimes. It is easier. It is less messy. Not in Van Gogh's case, but with other things definitely my perception is warm and fuzzy, verses the cold reality.
This has been a hard Christmas. Dear friends losing family in tragic accidents and heart breaking circumstances that will leave lasting worries, and many burdens that are just much too hard to bear on one's own. My own difficulties lately, pale in comparison.
This world truly is cold and hard. But we have been warned. We know that in reality the truth is not so warm and fuzzy. This is a harsh and sin riddled world. People do starve. People do lose their homes. People die in hopeless and horrifying circumstances. Husbands and wives grow apart, children find themselves members of two households instead of one solid secure home. To be honest, I long for home. I long for a haven such as heaven.
Do I doubt it exists? There are days when I fear that history is indeed faulty. I am not always sure of what is real and what is not. And it makes me sad. But somehow, some way, in much the way that Van Gogh's life strikes that chord of sympathy and admiration (yes, admiration), I find a verse in the Bible that does the same thing. Somewhere in my soul the reading of The Word calms and firms my faith and hope in the loving heart of my heavenly Father.
John 16:33 (read John 15 and 16)
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
1 John 3:1-3
1How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.
1 Corinthians 13:
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
I choose to protect, trust, hope and persevere -because of that sounding resonation that rings through my soul when I read the Word of God. It is the only compass I have that seems to comfort and resolve the confusion of a hard world.
Oh - Here's a link to the article for those who are interested:
Art historians claim Van Gogh's ear 'cut off by Gauguin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!