The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen - Children of allllll ages....


Saturday night found me and my husband and children, my Mom and Dad in law and niece and nephew at the circus. Yes, Barnum and Bailey and Ringling Brothers had come to town. I had been looking forward to it with a mild interest. I went to the circus as a child and to be honest, I don't remember thinking it was that great.

What I saw Saturday night was beyond great. It was stupendous, awesome, spectacular - absolutely riveting. I felt like a big kid. I ooo'd and ahhhh'd with the kids, I clapped and laughed...it was so much fun. I actually thought how great it would be to be in the circus. Living on a train, traveling from place to place being a part of that bright and sparkly cast of talented folks. These people were the real deal. They were amazing.

I started thinking about the "what if's". My aunt and uncle live in Sarasota and when I graduated from highschool my aunt said I needed to come down there and go to school at Ringling. I just poohed it. The circus? That's just not realistic.

But what if? Too many times we are limited by what we think is "doable". The sensible thing is to go to college and get a degree that will aid me in my future. I was an English major and a Music minor. I can do nothing with those degrees. But - had I gone to Ringling...well...I might have been one of those performers.

The fact is, I love my life. God has been good to me, much better than I deserve. But I guess what I am trying to say is, it's okay to think beyond the sensible -to try the outlandish for size every once in a while.

I think back to the Israelites when the 12 spies went in. Caleb and Joshua believed that with God's help they could inhabit the land in spite of the giants. But the other 10 spies did not believe. They did not inhabit the land. They had to wander another 40 years. Had they had the faith of Caleb and Joshua they could have lived in that land of milk and honey.

Numbers 13
But Caleb quieted the people before Moses and said, "Let us go up at once and occupy it, for we are well able to overcome it."

Not that I want to run away and join the circus. But - what things have I missed because of my short sightedness. I have not had faith in God's ability to make great things happen for his kingdom.

Numbers 14
And Joshua the son of Nun and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, who were among those who had spied out the land, tore their clothes 7and said to all the congregation of the people of Israel,"The land, which we passed through to spy it out, is an exceedingly good land. 8If the LORD delights in us, he will bring us into this land and give it to us, a land that flows with milk and honey. 9Only do not rebel against the LORD. And do not fear the people of the land, for they are bread for us. Their protection is removed from them, and the LORD is with us; do not fear them."


"If the LORD delights in us, he will bring us into this land and give it to us".


This phrase is freeing and quite uplifting. The fact is that the reason I do not live large - is that I do not dream big for God. The thing I must do is make sure my motives are to build the kindgom and to give God glory. Anything done to lift up myself, or make my life more comfortable is not glorifying the kindgom. It is living for myself. I must be kingdom conscious.


Matthew 21:21
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done.

1 Corinthians 2:5
so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.


I have determined in my heart this day, that I will not settle for okay. I want great. I want it for my children, for my husband and for myself. I want to see miracles and witness extraordinary things that could never happen on my own merit. I want to be like Joshua and Caleb and be ready to possess the land. God give me great faith to do amazing things for your kingdom.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!