The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Overthinking it...

I woke up this morning to pouring rain and thunder rumbles. It was lovely. Made me wish I could stay in my bed and enjoy it just a bit longer. But - instead I immediately started worrying. I can "what if" a situation to death.

When I was a little girl and my family would plan to go to the beach for the day, I would be sick with a stomach ache and pray over and over again that God would protect us. The whole night before I would be rejecting scenarios of harm and asking God to keep us safe. I would be exhausted, and fragile feeling the next morning. But being a kid...once I got there  - the joy of the sand and the Gulf would totally erase the worry from my mind. Thankfully.

I have done this my whole life.

So this morning I immediately started wondering whether I should wait and take the boys in later to school...because we all know folks forget how to drive when it is raining.

And I stopped myself.

I am overthinking it again.

The fact is, we have no guarantees in life. This world is broken and imperfect. And no matter how hard we try we cannot always keep the ick from happening.

Romans 8:37-39

English Standard Version (ESV)
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
 

Psalm 18:31-33

English Standard Version (ESV)
31 For who is God, but the Lord?
And who is a rock, except our God?—
32 the God who equipped me with strength
and made my way blameless.
33 He made my feet like the feet of a deer
and set me secure on the heights.
 
Yesterday I was watching a show about the end of the earth and it showed a man (Nichlas Cage) gathered with his family. They had no fear. Right before their destruction the dad looked at them all and said, "You know this is not the end", and his son looked back at him and said, "I know".
 
Now I am not placing any spiritual meaning on the movie. But I LOVED the end. If we all had that security would we not do more? Would we not try something GREAT for God?
 
I am going to do my best to practice the following:
 
Philippians 4:
 
4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

 
I am going to do my best to quit overthinking it all...it's exhausting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!