The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Poppin' Off at the Mouth

There is a practice I have that I need to nip in the bud. It's my mouth. I say things without thinking. Allllllll the time.

It's a bad practice. Horrible habit. And frankly, it shows me for what I am...a foolish woman. When someone wants advice, my knee jerk reaction is to rush in with a verbal onslaught of my experiences without thinking. Or - to actually say what I am thinking - which really - in so many cases should probably be best left unsaid until I have thought it through - all the way.

I just read a blog where someone asked for advice from their pastor's wife and it said she, "asked for time to consider it", then came back with sound wisdom.

Yeah. That is what I should always do.

I will say that I have become much more aware of my garrulous tendencies, which in many cases, tend to be nervous energy released in verbal form. Also not such a good thing. So lately - I have asked God for help with my mouth - and my brain - that what escapes my mouth will be premeditated and ordained by God. That I will have self control and not be so willing to "pop off" as is my tendency.

There are times when my prattle - though tiresome to some - is perfectly alright. But there are other times when my light treatment of certain subjects tends to only make the waters muddier. I don't want to be that person. I would much rather be self controlled and thoughtful.

But there is the fact that God made me who I am for a reason. He gave me my personality and tendencies to manage well and to use for his glory.

Being measured in thought and speech is very doable. My first step is to look to him to help me be wise with my words. Both written and spoken.

Proverbs 31:26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

First step is to be aware of the need. And I need to be working toward wisdom.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

I do not doubt that some folly will fall from my mouth from time to time. But I truly want to be a more thoughtful person in all I say and do. This will serve my family and friends much better - and I am sure there will be a lot less regret on my part. Which is always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!