The dailiness of everything, ways to create and cope, help and heal, learn and live!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

How Many Times Do I Have to Tell You?

Today, I was getting a snack for the boys after school. I was trying to be a good mama and make some sugar cookies (trust me - they are refrigerator dough cookies) with little chocolate kisses in the middle of each one. One of the boys came up and asked if he could have a kiss...I told him to wait because I wasn't sure how many I had left. I am not kidding when I say he came back less then 60 seconds later and asked again - I was still unwrapping and sticking the kisses in the middle of the cookies. I turned to him and said very loudly, "HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT YOU NEED TO WAIT UNTIL I AM DONE".

yep

It was a bright, shining moment for motherhood.

But as I finished up the cookies I was thinking that God probably feels the same way. I know I have to be told by him many more times than one. Thankfully my God is gracious and slow to anger. But what does this say about me?

Proverbs 23:18-20
18 There is surely a future hope for you,
and your hope will not be cut off.
19 Listen, my son, and be wise,

and keep your heart on the right path.

James 1:19
My dear brothers, take note of this:
Everyone should be quick to listen,
slow to speak and slow to become angry

Listen to wisdom, and once you hear it, apply it, and practice it. So there is hope for me to be wise.

I am a babbler. I love to talk. The problem is I am not wise because of it. I pray that God will teach me to hold my tongue and listen more than babble. I will be a wiser woman for it.

I am always convicted when I read Proverbs 31 (what woman is not?) specifically verse 26

26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

This is what I long for. But too many times I hear myself asking God something I have already been told, but have forgotten because of my busy-ness and self involvement. I sometimes think that my constant talk is from nervousness....but I don't want that to be a cop-out. It is WHAT I am talking about that is telling. Myself. Ugh.

Titus 2:7-9
7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness 8 and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.


As an "older" woman (I know - it almost hurts to say that) my goal should be to listen more and instruct wisely. I have been through the, "look at me, look at me" stage and should have moved on by now for pete's sake. The only way to show soundness of speech is to have wisdom and wisdom comes from listening to wise counsel and putting it into practice.

Another thought is - maybe my children need to see this in me so that I can be a better example of how it looks. Convicting.

James 1:4-6
4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6 But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and how you deal with things. I am always looking to do things better!